Correspondence has a number of effects, but naturally also has the benefit of allowing sympathetic magic. In order to cast a spell sympathetically, the caster must have a level of correspondence equal to the highest rating of the sympathetic spell. That is, they must be a master of correspondence to sympathetically cast a master level spell, and must be at least a disciple to cast a disciple level spell. If using correspondence to cast a spell, the spell requires a number of additional successes based on the following:
- One Success allows the caster to cast at line of sight range, or to target an individual whose body sample they have.
- Two Successes allows the caster cast at a location they are very familiar with, or an individual who is a close companion or whom the mage has a close possession of.
- Three Successes allows the caster to cast at a location they are familiar with, or an individual who is a casual friend.
- Four Successes allows the caster to cast at a location they visited once, or at an individual using an object they used once.
- Five Successes allows the caster to cast at a location that has been described or to cast at an object or individual the caster has seen before
- Six Successes or more is required to cast at any target beyond these limitations - no connection is required, though the storyteller
In most regards, Data functions like Correspondence with regards to the powers at its disposal. The primary differences come through the elements of connection (see the chart below) and the methods of its employment. To use Data-based Effects, the technomancer must collate data about the person or location he’s trying to reach, and then have gear in place that can reach the subject of his attention. The more expertise that specialist brings to bear on the situation (that is, the more dots he has in this Sphere), the easier it is for him to establish a connection with minimal amounts of data.
Because Data depends upon technological methods of information and connection, a target who’s not on the grid cannot be affected by this Sphere. Given the current (and growing) extent of information technology, however, the Data can reach most people within the industrialized world... especially if they participate in social media, modern banking, or government processes
- At Data 1, an operator needs 8 successes on an effect, and rolls once every four hours. The Operator must be in the subject's presence or have a body sample, source code, or government ID database information.
- At Data 2, an operator needs 6 successes on an effect, and rolls once every two hours. The subject must be a treasured possession of the operator or an intimate companion - or the operater must have a sample code, personal email or access to the target's social media account.
- At Data 3, an operator needs 4 successes on an effect, and rolls once every hour. The subject must be a casual possession or associate of the operator - or the operator must have a legacy code, internet sock puppet, or access to the throwaway email or media account of the subject.
- At Data 4, an operator needs 3 successes on an effect, and rolls once every minute. The subject must be an acquaintence or the operator must have an object of the subjects - or a derivative code or the subject's IP address.
- At Data 5, an operator needs 2 successes on an effect, and rolls once every minute. The operator must have briefly touched or met the subject, or access to code from the same language or a rerouted IP string.