Sleight of Hand [Merit]

Please submit items to be reviewed here
Jaling

Sleight of Hand [Merit]

Post by Jaling » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Sleight of Hand ••
Prereq: Larceny •••
Source: Chronicles of Darkness p.49

You can take a sleight of hand instant action reflexively once per turn, and victims of your sleight of hand can't notice your attempts if they aren't specifically looking for them.
Original:
You can take a Larceny instant action reflexively once per turn, and victims of your Larceny can't notice your attempts if they aren't specifically looking for them.
-------------------------------

I know we have a couple characters with sticky fingers in here and thought this would be fun. :D
Last edited by Jaling on Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuicksilverFox85

Re: Sleight of Hand [Merit]

Post by QuicksilverFox85 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:04 pm

No issues on my end, personally.

fairfolk

Post by fairfolk » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:52 pm

Is this 2.0?

Jakondite

Post by Jakondite » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:47 pm

To be honest - I'm not sure I particularly liked this merit, even in second edition - mostly because of it's infallibility. It makes no sense to me that even someone with say - Wits 10, Auspex 5 - would have no chance of noticing their pockets being picked by a person with this merit... or that someone could pick someone's pocket reflexively in the middle of a combat situation to steal their weapon before they had a chance to draw it. It tries to balance this out by saying you can pick it up if you are looking for the attempt - but lets face it, no one's ever looking for the attempt until after it's succeeded, or after they've noticed the failure.

So say someone is wearing a bracelet. You approach them, having a conversation with them, and reflexively make a larceny roll - and fail. You try again with your instant action and seem to be having a spout of bad luck, because you fail again. Fortunately, however, you can continue to do this all night - because the individual you are talking to can't notice your trying to steal their bracelet until they are tipped onto that fact and start keeping an eye out for it.

The merit is made worse by the fact that it nullifies the risk associated with -any- larceny attempt, rather than just say - pick pocketing. You broke into someone's home? No chance for them to notice. Forge a document? No one will be able to tell it's a fake unless they actually scrutinize the document expecting fakes to be a possibility. Your car was hotwired? Well, as long as they get it back before you notice it's gone, you'll never realize that it was.

All this merit does is remove the risk associated with Larceny.

fairfolk

Post by fairfolk » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:08 pm

Okay. So...the reason I asked if it was 2.0 is because during a 2.0 game I saw it in play, i do not, and did not like this merit. For the same reason Jako cited. It gives zero chance of being noticed unless someone is watching for it.

I say no.

Jaling

Post by Jaling » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:22 pm

I think you're examples are missing the context of the merit. "Sleight of hand" doesn't apply to the evidence of forging documents or picking locks. It might say larceny roles in the rules, but the name of the merit tells you the context of those larceny roles. If it's not a sleight of hand application of the larceny skill, this merit wouldn't benefit it.

It also converts your sleight of hand attempt into a reflexive one instead of an instant one. Not giving you two chances a turn to make sleight of hand attempts.

This merit has applications beyond stealing from players too and shouldn't be seen as a way to get one over on one. This could be used in magic tricks, slipping someone a note, spiking a drink or just plain distracting someone.

I'll replace the word "Larceny" with "Sleight of Hand" in the rules text

fairfolk

Post by fairfolk » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:18 am

While Fox and Jakondite can like or dislike something, ultimately if I don't want something on site...it wont be. This is one of those merits that will not be on this site. So I do not see why there is any more discussion on this.

I will say however that:

I happen to find this merit a way to cheat players out of a chance to realize something was stolen or however you want to twist it, magic trick, slip a note...whatever.

You have to post prior to the players character deciding to steal from you that your LOOKING for such things and no one does that, so its a way of cheating people in my opinion. And I rather am a firm believer as there is ALWAYS a chance to get caught, to get out of a deadly scene, ect ect. This doesnt give what I expect on my sites.