Timeout (Log: Anneliese, John)

More of an outpost to the Emerald Heart than a sept in its own right, the caern known as the Emerald City Waystation acts as the major moonbridge hub for the city as well as the normal stomping grounds for the city's more urban wolves.
Gatecrash

Timeout (Log: Anneliese, John)

Post by Gatecrash » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:16 am

Anneliese Gehrant
Anneliese didn't have school today, so she actually enters the Waystation at a decent time. She pulls off her plaid button up shirt, almost defiantly leaving her scars on display, a far cry from the fresh-faced girl she had been a year and a half ago. She takes her time heading toward the moonbridge.

John Whitten
If I were a less honest person, and I'm not, I'd almost believe that the lack of a desk or anything near the door was just more punishment. Yeah, I'd had to bring a chair with me; and okay, I didn't need to actually sit near the entrances. What the hell else was there to do? Okay, so calm down there John. You've got more bearing than simple anger; that's the entire fucking reason they sent you here. You're more stable than that.

"Hello Anneliese," I spoke out in my customary voice, bits of gravel and all. "You're early." With a huff, I stood up from where I'd been sitting, just out of sight of the door she'd used to enter and tried my best to put a good face on things. Just a few more weeks to go. Or however long it took...

Anneliese Gehrant
She looks over, the familiar gruff voice catching her attention. She smiles at him, not the warm, carefree smile she'd had before she came here, but a sincere one nonetheless. She walks over to him, tilting her head a bit. "Hi, John. Yeah, no class today. They're giving us time to study. Are you surviving out here?"

John Whitten
Surviving? That got a got the shortest of laughs, and I painted a smile on. Just for show, really. Well, for show and to maybe cover for resetting the way my shirt rested around my waist. Damn thing never could sit right.

"Surviving is about the only thing I'm good at," I replied, stretching to work out the crick in my back, "I teach a class on it." Okay, so I really did teach a class, but she didn't need that bite, and I made sure to at least look apologetic.

"Liese, what's got you down?" It was a simple question, but with just enough softness to show I cared. I did. Sometimes, anyways. Maybe she'd even realize I didn't always use that particular diminutive; always the full name, except when I was curious. Or concerned.

Anneliese Gehrant
She snorts at that, a bit of a smirk curving her lips. Her hand brushes along the new, large puckered scar on her upper arm without seeming to realize it. "You and me both, really. It's a start, though. " Her expression softens, apparently she does realize the difference when he says her name that way. "Nothing. I breath and so does my family, so it's a good day."

John Whitten
That hadn't been there before, and there were only so many ways to get something as bad as that. Spear or something, but I couldn't be sure; I only knew how to patch people back up.

"Quite the trophy there." Flicking a hand at the scar, but nothing else. Scars had stories, and I should know, I had a few all along my hands and legs. Not for today, though. Not for forever if I had any say.

"Breathing's a good start, I'll give you that. There're a few other fundamental needs, like body temperature and water, but I think you've got those covered as well." Yeah, so I couldn't always turn off the instructor; I was literally paid to cram this basic crap into people's heads for a living. Sometimes they even pretended it was important. Sometimes.

"Going off to the Sept, then" I asked, voice just a tic curious and, because I'm honest enough to admit it, just a bit desperate.

Anneliese Gehrant
She flinches the slightest bit, pulling her hand away as if it were burned, her cheeks flushing. "Yeah, those others are pretty important." He'd seen that expression before, when she'd gotten caught doing something she wasn't supposed to and her father had called her on it. Liese chews her lower lip lightly and nods to him. "You'll get to go back soon, won't you? We should have you over for dinner when you can."

John Whitten
I'll let it go, because obviously it bothers her. Some scars, right? Must've been bad, given the flushed cheeks and that tone, too. You could temper iron, but it did no good after the damage was done. I wasn't about to coddle this fresh pain, but it wasn't for me to call it out now. Not when so fresh, if my instincts were right. Sometimes they even were.

"Deadly important," I said, smiling for the both of us. "I won't bore you with a lecture, though." I think I had that one down to about 20 minutes; go me.

"I've not heard a word yet. Maybe it's for the better, because," I trailed off on that, feeling my anger rise a bit at the thought. Fucking whelps. Fortunately, it was easy to shove that anger down, just like I had a million times past. "Well, I was running out of unexplored patches anyways." Not even remotely true, and I was terrible at lying, but I also didn't care.

"Dinner would be nice. It's been quite a while since I ran over there." Helluva trip that. Fun, too. "How's everyone?"

Anneliese Gehrant
Her lips curve at the threat of a lecture and she chuckles softly at the comment. "It wouldn't be the first time, would it? I did learn that lesson well. I passed it on, even." She licks her lips lightly. "I'm sure you'll be able to go back soon." She tilts her head at him, arching a brow in confusion. She bites her lower lip, that wasn't the only new scar, or the only one she'd gotten in the last year. She had another on her shoulder near her clavicle, a divit that's still healing pink, a vertical white line down one side of her jaw and doubtless others. "You mean at the Sept?"

John Whitten
So, maybe I wasn't always perfect at following things. Did a week or two really make that much of a difference? Of course, she'd not been talking about her parents, that was verboten. I shrugged it off and offered for her to take the lead, if she was going to move at all.

"No sense standing in the entryway," I said quietly in between her speaking, scooping up a few things as I did. If she wouldn't leave, then I would as soon as we were done here. It'd be time to get some more excitement in anyways, if instead of excitement, it was the gym. Not much else to do.

"Think I'll be here a while longer, Anneliese. It was pretty clear, what'd needed to happen. Yeah. How is everyone at the Sept?" It was another of those questions that I always asked, and it was just as easy to slip into that one. She'd know that's not who I'd been talking about at first, but maybe she'd let it go. Honest mistake, I promise.

Anneliese Gehrant
She nods in acknowledgement, her relief clear for just an instant. She smiles at him and gestures toward the gym, of all places, as much as she may not always look like a warrior, the gym was always somewhere anyone of their tribe could find a little stress reliever. "Maybe I'll bring something here for you." Her smile suddenly widens slightly. "I could bring cookies, help you go a little soft since you can't wander in the woods. They're good. Iona is busy at the forge, as always, Augmund is spending a lot of time in the city. Mends the Rift-rhya is long fully healed and training is going well."

John Whitten
I wish I'd brought a spare change of clothes with me, instead I just had a light jacket for any elements and light clothing underneath that. I mean, it wouldn't stop me, but I'd rather not mess up the jacket; it was expensive to replace Outdoor Research gear when I couldn't snag one off the active SERE guys there. And they said that we'd had all the gucci gear when I'd been in...

"Cookies would be great," I agreed, giving the thumbs up as I did. "Take the edge off my timeout." I could say it, I really could. It didn't even hurt to call it exactly what it was. A cub starts to spout off? That's expected. 31 year old John with a stubborn streak? Yeah, that was a different story, and I should've known better. I mean, I do, but I wasn't about to let the whelp just up and tell me what to do, especially when it was wrong. But, fuck me, I'm the easier one to move than they are.

"Sounds like business as usual. And school for you? Life for that matter?" I started off behind her, careful to keep an arm's length between us. No, not because I had any interest. For different reasons. It took an arm's length for me to pull a knife; old habits were real hard to beat.

Anneliese Gehrant
"I'll bring some bratselis over, then." She nods to him, she'd had her own time outs, her own punishments, there was still a dent in the wall in an empty house that confirmed that, not that she resented it. "Yes, it is. It's good. I think I'm almost done. Then there's just testing and I'll be a midwife. Life is good." She's aware of the arm's length, though the timing isn't something that occurs to her. A thread of tension grows along her spine, subtle, but there nonetheless. She doesn't look back, doesn't question the why on it or admit that it tightens the back of her throat.

John Whitten
Bratselis were a rare enough treat, I'll admit. The memory was enough to bring a smile and while I was pretty sure she couldn't see it, so careful to keep looking forward, I could feel myself relaxing a little. What a strange feeling, being so unwound for a change.

"A practical test? Seems a bit difficult to predict if it is." Now there was a thought. Still, I kept walking, at peace for such a short while. Funny, I couldn't remember having felt that in the longest time. Must be a sign.

"Good to hear things are well otherwise."

Anneliese Gehrant
She can hear the warmth and ease in his voice and glances back at him, curiosity and then a bit of a smile on her face. "The practical is more of a sanitation test, but yes, we'll have to assist as well. Yes, it is difficult to predict, but that's sort of the point. Yeah, they are. It's good to have a pack."

John Whitten
I'd forgotten that she'd joined a pack. Can't say I'd heard of it before, but that didn't mean anything. I mean hell, if you asked the right person, we were approaching the end of all things. Fuck that, because whining doesn't change anything and I've got my orders, but it still made you think. Could that happen more often? Would you even want it happening more often?

Dimly, I could feel a coldness in my hands, not from the air in the hallways. Not hard to shove that feeling aside, it wasn't real after all, but it was telling. Still, I kept calm and focused on wading through the calm feeling I hardly ever got to experience. "More power to you," I said, though there was a small thrill of pride in it. I could be proud of my tribemates. Sometimes.

"It's a great thing you've got going on, Anneliese. Better than expected, I'm not too prideful to admit." And I was glad for it. They might've eaten her alive otherwise. Not that I'd know for the moment, being cut off.

Anneliese Gehrant
Anneliese turned to walk backward, a slow smile curving her lips and tilts her head at him. "It is. It's been a long road, but I'm in a good place now. With good people, and a real family again." She studies him between making sure she's not going to trip. "You count in that, too, tribe is important."

John Whitten
Fingers twitch as she spins around, reminding me of other times. That's how... I don't need to go there right now. No, better to focus on the good times going on right in front of you. Enjoy the fact that she's doing better. Enjoy the fact that she's even willing to acknowledge you may have had a small role in that. Not one more crazy thought about what it took to get here. Who you are now is right here. Not there.

"That's generous to say," I admit, pasting the smile back on, though I didn't feel it. "I'll take it, though."

"Watch out." Pointing at a cart of some sort that was in her way, and she may not have seen it yet.

Anneliese Gehrant
She doesn't even have to consciously think about keeping her hands visible and at her sides. "It's true. None of us get to where we are alone." She smiles at him. "You should." She makes a little surprised sound in her throat and steps around the cart easily. Oh, what a difference training makes. "Thank you."

John Whitten
None of us get here alone. How true, and yet I had trouble believing it myself. This wasn't the time to go into that, though, and she didn't need to hear me tell a story. Besides, I wasn't a Galliard; I'm terrible at telling stories.

"Every team succeeds as a whole or fails as a whole, true," I ended up agreeing, which may have been a fair enough compromise to what I felt and what I knew. Alone or a team, we all had a role to play.

"My pleasure. You've been practicing a little," I observed in a neutral tone. Moving was another of those fundamentals that could get you in quite a bit of trouble if not given proper attention.

Anneliese Gehrant
Her smile is impish for a moment, the playfulness of her actions and that expression emphasizing her age, or lack of it. "I'd say that's mostly true." She tilts her head at the tone, spinning to walk forward, then back again to face him. "A little. I've had to pick up something, between training with Mends the Rift-rhya, Iona and Jesse. I like my head intact."

John Whitten
"I agree. It's the only one I've got," I said, smiling a little more truthfully now. It wasn't the greatest joke, but I'd go with it all the same. Humor was in short supply, anyways, and best passed around while we still had it.

"Once I get back to the Sept, if you want some practice moving around with a group quietly, I could show a thing or two. Fenris as my witness, these kids I teach at the base can't seem to ever figure it out." Another short laugh at that, just for a moment to show how much I thought of them. Babes in the woods; they had the training just as a formality and prayed they'd never need it.

Anneliese Gehrant
She smirks at him and nods in agreement, turning to walk next to him, though she still gives him room. "I'm always up to learn something new. Being more stealthy would come in handy." She bites her lip, looking away and taking a deep breath. "The last fight I was in, I went back and forth between trying to be invisible and trying to get all the attention and it mostly worked well." She brushes her fingertips over those new scars again.

John Whitten
So, maybe she didn't understand the why of the spacing, but I appreciated it all the same. Meant I didn't have to do anything myself and that kept it easier for the both of us. "It's a good skill to have," I agreed, "The worst that happens is what you've already seen." Of course, nothing was quite that simple, but that would be for a later discussion on the topic.

"Keeping yourself a bit unpredictable, that's good." There was another hint of pride, just for her. Me? I preferred fast enough to not need to change up, but I'd been doing this a long time. "Still using that sword of yours?"

Anneliese Gehrant
It's a cynical smirk for one so young as she glances up at him and shakes her head. "I sincerely doubt that. I try to. With my size, it's just another tool. I have to use what I can." She smiles at the thought of her sword and nods to him. "Yeah, that, the gambeson, the chainmail, the shield, the whole bit. It's not very subtle, though, is it?"

John Whitten
I shake my head, just the once for effect. "Not really, no. Does help against claws and other swords, though. Better than what I've got, at least." Mostly, I kept to the modern standards of protection; rifle plates and mobility. No sense getting tangled up with a Dancer up close; they'd win one way or the other eventually. Now, a .30 bullet to the face? That tended to get the point across...

"If it works, though, it's worth it." I didn't need to say the opposite, though. With a grin and scars like that? She'd have to know that you couldn't stick with something just because it's comfortable. Shit, even I could swing a sword if I needed to.

Anneliese Gehrant
"That it does. I miss it when I don't have it. I wouldn't say that, there's definitely a place for big guns and long-range attacks." She tilts her head at his claim on the worth of it and she smiles a bit. "And if it doesn't, I suppose you'll get another chance in Valhalla."

John Whitten
"Bingo," I said, thin smile at her comment. Always better to have them say it instead of you; means

they might actually understand the idea. "Personally, I'd much rather put a few dozen rounds in one and call it a day. Much safer for me, and I'm too chickenshit to really go toe to toe with an angry Spiral Dancer. Or worse." Another lie, of course; the jacket did a good job of hiding the scars I held too. Fortunately, most were scrapes or minor cuts from before really getting involved, but well, we all had scars. Needs must, right?

"Till Valhalla." It was an ironic agreement, but true enough, I suppose.

Anneliese Gehrant
She chuckles a bit, darkly, licking her lips lightly. "Yeah, we both know that has nothing to do with being chicken shit. You may have the smarter idea there. I should probably improve my distance skills." She shrugs a bit. "Might be too late, all the guys I know already seem to be prettier than I am, may as well continue the trend." She smirks again at that.

John Whitten
Was that meant to be an insult? Bravo if it was since I couldn't quite tell. I let it go because she'd earned that much if it'd been on purpose and shrugged. Her first comment, though, about it being smarter. Well, it got me remembering, which was always dangerous. I could feel my fingers twitch again with the memory; slipping a knife into the neck of a FIRST lackey. Shooting the legs out of another when he rushed me. Worse still, the look that one Dancer gave me when I'd shot out his heart and neck and he still kept coming at me. Still gives me a chill, that death glare. No, no smiles anymore, and it withered just as fast as I could remember.

"Just make sure whatever you do, Anneliese, you finish the job." Why had I said that? I hadn't meant to, and what the hell did I mean by that? "More to the point, if you're going to keep swinging that sword about, don't hit me with it. Okay?" A forced bit of humor to that, but I couldn't smile.

Anneliese Gehrant
If he thought that might be an insult, he was hanging with the wrong crowd. She glances at him, biting her lower lip and studying him for a moment. She nods slowly. "That is the idea. I try to, sometimes I'm even lucky enough to succeed." She raises her brows at that, a bit of a hard smirk there. "No promises."

John Whitten
"So, here we are," I said, pointing at the door to the gym and bringing myself back to the much-simpler present. "Not sure if you were looking for a workout buddy today, but I'll probably in there in a bit myself." At this point, it wasn't that much further of a walk back to my temporary room and grab something better suited to working out. Besides, today was Crossfit day, which I hated and putting it off for a few more minutes would be the only relief from it I'd get.

"Gotta do the whole Crossfit thing today anyways; gotta keep myself from feeling too good about being in the gym." A smile at that, just enough to wash away the thought of those eyes screaming death at me.

Anneliese Gehrant
She nods to him and smiles. "I'd like that. I was sort of planning on working out here, anyway." She raises her brows again at the Crossfit comment and chuckles. "Work until you puke? That could work. Should we change or just work out in this?"

John Whitten
"That's up to you, but I'm going to change clothes. That way I don't care if I have to throw up." Yeah, there was that bit of humor again, but it was needed. "If you're not going to change, I'd recommend getting a quick warm-up while I'm gone. Today's WOD is a Murph, so best buckle up." Did she know what that one was? Shit, I wished I'd know what it was first time I did one.

Anneliese Gehrant
She chuckles again, more heartfelt at the comment about puking. "Nah, I can change. There are locker rooms here. A Murph? Okay." It didn't sound like she knew, she might, but it's just as likely she doesn't. "See you in a few, then." She heads toward the lockers.