Refugee (Dorian Intro; Attn: ST/Any)

More of an outpost to the Emerald Heart than a sept in its own right, the caern known as the Emerald City Waystation acts as the major moonbridge hub for the city as well as the normal stomping grounds for the city's more urban wolves.
User avatar
Nickpire
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:31 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Refugee (Dorian Intro; Attn: ST/Any)

Post by Nickpire » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:34 am

Dorian "Chain-Breaker" Graves | Current Form: Homid | Rage 6/6 | Gnosis 5/6 | Willpower 6/6 | Active Gifts: Smell of Man | Animal Magnetism, Pure-Breed 2, Appearance 3 | Fetish: Truth Earring | Renown: Glory 3, Honor 1, Wisdom 1 | Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish | Armed: Knife (Concealed)

Seattle. At last... Seattle.

Dorian's feet were sore from the road as were his jaws from carrying his ward from Chicago to the far west of the United States. It hadn't been an easy or quick trip. He'd hitchhiked where he could, always the back of someone's truck or van versus somewhere that Natalie could be seen. Natalie couldn't be seen. That was the whole crux of the issue. If anyone saw her, Dorian would have to kill them, and while the Fenrir understood that people needed to die sometimes, it wasn't his place to set them up for it or breach the Veil.

The rest of the time, when a ride wasn't available, he'd traveled on four legs. He was fast, which was a boon, but the distance between Chicago and Seattle was not a small one. He didn't want to risk a Moonbridge straight into the heart of the Caern; he had no idea what kind of reception he'd get, for one. For two, there was no way he could open the Moonbridge from Chicago on his own and he wasn't going to ask. He was self-sufficient and when his limbs hurt, he pressed on. When his body ached, he pressed on. All in all, he made pretty good time.

It hadn't been all smooth sailing. One of the rides he'd picked one night turned out to be a Leech living some kind of nomadic lifestyle. Dorian hadn't been able to smell the rot with his human nose and found himself in a bad place on some deserted stretch of highway, at a rest stop, with a fanged freak looking for an easy meal. Imagine the rot's surprise when that didn't work out as well as he'd have hoped... After that, Dorian had a ride of his own and it made the rest of the trip a lot easier. Natalie didn't have a car seat so he'd driven carefully from there, keeping the little girl as safe as he could in a world that was going to hate her just for existing. He'd sacrificed too much to keep her safe to fail now. Failure wasn't the Fenrir way. A person looking at Dorian's life from the outside in might find that sentiment ironic but it was what was driving him now as the lights of Seattle loomed in the distance.

Dorian ditched the Leech's truck outside the city proper. He didn't need one of the rot's friends recognizing it, even on the off chance, and coming to find out what had happened to his buddy. One vampire, Dorian could take. Two or three, he was pretty confident. In a city, surrounded by who-knew-what minions, with undead of unknown power, he didn't need to risk it. He had more than his well being to think about and if he died before he reached the Sept, out of some antiquated sense of machismo, so too would Natalie. If she was lucky. Otherwise, he didn't want to think what the Wyrm's pet night monsters would do to her.

He had an address where he was headed, or rather, a rough part of town. He'd know the signs when he got closer. Showing up unannounced was poor etiquette and he didn't know how the Sept here would react to his presence. To Natalie's. Their reputation wasn't one for wanton brutality but they were also werewolves. Garou weren't known for their sense of restraint and the face of the unknown was not something they embraced. Newcomers were threats first, allies later. That's how it had been in the Amazon and, in Dorian's mind, the law of the jungle still ruled no matter where you went.

"You stay here a minute. Be good. Keep quiet." He whispered to the infant in the swaddle. "I'm going to be right back. I promise."

It was a park, dark and at a pond off the beaten path. The Gauntlet would be thinner here and the still waters allowed enough of a reflection that Dorian could slip through with Natalie safely tucked high up out of the way. He'd checked with his nose prior to doing it, verifying he was alone as well. Ultimately, it wasn't too hard to find a raven spirit, but communication wasn't his specialty. He was no Crescent Moon, he couldn't speak the spirit's odd language, but hopefully his attempts at speech and body language were good enough... not to mention the bit of Gnosis he spared for the spirit's efforts on his behalf. The request was simple, Dorian only hoped it was understood. For the spirit to let the guardians at the Sept in the city here to know he was coming.

Either way, he couldn't wait any longer.

Slipping back across the Gauntlet, Dorian retrieved the infant girl, and continued on towards the industrial park he'd been told to seek. It was dark by the time he arrived. He looked for the signs, getting a rough gauge for where the border was, and then... waited. Somewhere shadowed where human traffic wouldn't be inclined to see him; the absolute last thing Dorian needed was to get into it with some cops or have them spot Natalie. Not this close. Not when he'd come so far. Either the spirit would carry the message and someone would meet him or a spirit would warn the Sept a Garou intruder was nearby and someone would meet him. Dorian waited in his human skin for whichever response he garnered. Howling a greeting in the middle of a city was a bad idea for beyond obvious reasons.

"Let's see how this goes." He said to the (mercifully) quiet (for now) baby. "If we have to bail, I'm going to be running fast, so you hold on."

As if Natalie could understand what he was saying. She was only a handful of weeks old.

Here went nothing.
"Trust your gut before your head gets in the way". -Joe Miller

User avatar
Gatecrash
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Re: Refugee (Dorian Intro; Attn: ST/Any)

Post by Gatecrash » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:55 am

Garvan Nowack
Cliath Philodox | Stats | Active Gifts | Flaws | Notable Merits
There had to be a reason for most things, and while he'd not gotten the message himself, Garvan was not too surprised when he'd been told to go check it out. As both a Philodox and with some good measure of control, it seemed to make enough sense to him to go out and see the truth of things. Of course, not having all of the details didn't aid things much, just an impression of there being some kind of visitor seeking entry to the Waystation and that was about it.

Striding out of one of the main entrances, he tucked his hands into his jacket against the slight wind and looked around for a moment. Nothing too out of the ordinary, just a person leaving the building and trying to find another. It was dark enough to where, not for the first time since his Change, he wished he could shift to something more suited, and more obvious at that, but not here. Not in the city where people were always around, regardless of the time of day. Garvan sighed at that, and not knowing what he was looking for, stepped out from underneath the overhang and towards the street, keeping a watchful eye for anyone that might fit the vague description he'd gotten. Take care that you're at home, next time luck comes calling, it'd do you some good.

User avatar
Nickpire
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:31 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Re: Refugee (Dorian Intro; Attn: ST/Any)

Post by Nickpire » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:26 am

Dorian "Chain-Breaker" Graves | Current Form: Homid | Rage 6/6 | Gnosis 5/6 | Willpower 6/6 | Active Gifts: Smell of Man | Animal Magnetism, Pure-Breed 2, Appearance 3 | Fetish: Truth Earring | Renown: Glory 3, Honor 1, Wisdom 1 | Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish | Armed: Knife (Concealed)

Dorian didn't know who he was waiting for. He'd never been here. How could he? The night wasn't too cold though and he was patient. Natalie was still being quiet in her swaddle, the long trip having taken it out of her too. For his own part, Dorian looked like a guy who'd been on the road. He was dressed for function and didn't have much to his name; a pair of jeans that were clean(ish) but wrinkled, dust from the road still clinging to them. A forest colored hooded sweatshirt that had seen better days and also sported its share of wrinkles and dust. A pair of dark hiking boots with scuffed toes and worn soles. A backpack slung over his shoulders held mostly supplies for the infant as well as one or two small things of his own. There was a knife tucked into a sheathe beneath his jacket as well but he wasn't reaching for it. No outright moves that could look hostile.

There.

He saw the other man approaching the area. Dorian studied him for just a moment from his relative concealment, observing him. He couldn't smell the man's scent, not from here and not with this human nose. One of the downsides of the city. But this was an isolated stretch of urban sprawl and what were the odds this guy would just show up when he did? It was a city, of course, but the man's demeanor was also... focused. He wasn't hunting but he was moving with a purpose. Deliberately, to this area. Dorian inhaled through his nose, held it for a moment, then released it through his mouth.

He stepped into view, still a respectable distance in case he had to bolt, and raised his right hand in greeting. The infant swaddled up and held in his left arm stirred a little and made a whining noise.

"Evening." Dorian said. "Dorian Graves."
"Trust your gut before your head gets in the way". -Joe Miller

User avatar
Gatecrash
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Re: Refugee (Dorian Intro; Attn: ST/Any)

Post by Gatecrash » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:58 pm

Garvan Nowack
Cliath Philodox | Stats | Active Gifts | Flaws | Notable Merits
The raising hand caught his attention all at once, and despite the neutral expression that seemed to fit him so well, Garvan showed a keen interest in the owner of that hand. The child too, although he couldn't quite make out any details just yet and, really, what harm could a child do?

"Nice to meet you, Dorian Graves," he said in a polite tone, hands still firmly tucked away. "Garvan Nowack. I would offer to shake, but your hands seem full." Just a hint of amusement at that, but it passed quickly and he continued to stand at a distance most people would call respectful. Eyes continued to observe him carefully, but not once did he try to meet the other's gaze, always just a hair away from doing so. No sense starting that here, not in public. Worn clothes that looked like they may have needed a wash, and was that smell just a touch sour? He couldn't tell, but the rest of the impression seemed to fit. This was someone who was a visitor, of one kind or the other.

"You are not from around here, I take it," he said in a voice that was only half-asking. "Could I ask what brought you here?" Sure, it was an easy question, and he didn't seem overly interested in it, but he was sure to listen to each word, trying to his best to sort out what kind of person this was. Of course, pushing with spirit part of him to divine the truth didn't hurt either, even if he wasn't that used to doing so still. (Truth of Gaia: 4 successes)

User avatar
Nickpire
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:31 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Re: Refugee (Dorian Intro; Attn: ST/Any)

Post by Nickpire » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:47 pm

Dorian "Chain-Breaker" Graves | Current Form: Homid | Rage 6/6 | Gnosis 5/6 | Willpower 6/6 | Active Gifts: Smell of Man | Animal Magnetism, Pure-Breed 2, Appearance 3 | Fetish: Truth Earring | Renown: Glory 3, Honor 1, Wisdom 1 | Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish | Armed: Knife (Concealed)

Garvan Nowak... the name was filed away. It didn't mean anything to Dorian yet but the fact that the man didn't attack him right off was fine by him. He didn't miss that Garvan's hands were tucked away still but Dorian didn't read too much into that. Honestly, Garvan would have been foolish if he'd approached without some kind of means to defend himself. For all Dorian knew, he was being looked at up close through rifle scopes as well.

"Yeah, little bit." Dorian answered the light joke about his hands being full. "Been a long trip."

He definitely needed a shower. It wasn't overpowering, especially at their current distances from each other, but it wouldn't earn Dorian any special love from any Lupus-born present either. He was a compact figure; eyes darkened from lack of sleep, short hair disheveled, and a paleness to his skin from lack of rest, food, and the nonstop pace since he'd left Illinois.

"Came from down towards Chicago most recently. Up here because I need a new home." Dorian decided being up front was the best policy. "Not exactly welcome back where I came from."

His eyes shifted off Garvan for a fraction of a second to Natalie, who was getting fussier as she got hungry.

"It's Natalie here. She's got some special needs. The kind that aren't very smiled on in polite society." He adjusted Natalie's weight in his arm. "And I'm not running from the responsibility. She's mine."

Dorian took another breath.

"Asking for sanctuary, not charity. I can earn my own keep. It'd be hard enough to survive on my own and I can't keep this one going without a home."

All of Dorian's words were true through the Truth of Gaia save for one statement; she's mine. That read as neither true nor false.
"Trust your gut before your head gets in the way". -Joe Miller

User avatar
Gatecrash
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Re: Refugee (Dorian Intro; Attn: ST/Any)

Post by Gatecrash » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:11 pm

Garvan Nowack
Cliath Philodox | Stats | Active Gifts | Flaws | Notable Merits
It wasn't often he'd used that bit of himself, but it felt right hearing the truth separate itself from the rest. That alone gave him a certain satisfaction that he'd maybe not known much before, though it did nothing to his expression of simply watching and listening with polite interest. Each word spoken rang with a certain clarity, telling him that Dorian at least felt it true, and there was little reason to suspect anything else. Still quieted, he put the pieces together of a man on the run as all of this pointed towards, probably for reasons involving that child...

That was odd. Dorian didn't know if the child was his, or something similar, but claimed her as his own. That particular admission crossed his features, creasing a brow just a little, but he still said nothing. Better to let the man tell his story without interruption. At last, a moment after the newcomer finished speaking, he breathed out as genuine concern overtook him. Here was someone who thought they were in need, just as Garvan had been not so long ago. No, he wouldn't be able to refuse that.

"Let me get you inside," he replied, voice tinged with sympathy, "See what can be done about the both of you." A hand swept free from hiding, indicating for Dorian to take the lead. Of course, would he notice that, despite the concern, Garvan continued to watch him closely, at once Dorian then the child and back? The child that had 'special needs' and possibly no real parents. It would have to get sussed out later, when it would be more appropriate to ask.

"After you."

User avatar
Nickpire
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:31 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Re: Refugee (Dorian Intro; Attn: ST/Any)

Post by Nickpire » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:35 am

Dorian "Chain-Breaker" Graves | Current Form: Homid | Rage 6/6 | Gnosis 5/6 | Willpower 6/6 | Active Gifts: Smell of Man | Animal Magnetism, Pure-Breed 2, Appearance 3 | Fetish: Truth Earring | Renown: Glory 3, Honor 1, Wisdom 1 | Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish | Armed: Knife (Concealed)

"Thank you."

The simple invitation allowed some of the tension to leak out of Dorian's shoulders, leaving the muscles there tingling as he hadn't been aware how much he was holding. Natalie continued to start to fuss in his arm but he would address that later. He had her formula in his bag and could feed her inside. Dorian wasn't entirely relaxed; he was still a stranger in a strange land. But Garvan seemed on the level so far and it was going well. He didn't want to blow it.

Now Dorian did approach closer but both hands went to support the wrapped up bundle, supporting the tiny creature and making a symbolic gesture that his approach wasn't a subterfuge to attack. That did strike him as a tactic... pretend to hold something innocuous, lull your target, then strike. Something his father would have scorned as a Ragabash tactic. Dorian was all for honor but cunning had its place too. Either way, that was a thought for another time. Once he had a new Sept. If they accepted him. Natalie and Dorian came as a package deal.

"Not entirely sure where I'm going." He admitted as he took the indicated lead, walking back in the direction Garvan had seemed to come from. "But I can share more when we're in private."

No doubt the Sept elders would demand he did any way. He wasn't here to hide what had happened. Not entirely. The circumstances weren't open knowledge but the end result would be the same.
"Trust your gut before your head gets in the way". -Joe Miller

fairfolk
Posts: 1764
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:02 pm

Re: Refugee (Dorian Intro; Attn: ST/Any)

Post by fairfolk » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:19 am

Aspasia "Adrestia-mnemosyne" Vicardus"
Pure Breed 3 | Ambidextrous| Perfect Balance| Animal magnetism|Eidetic memory| Enchanting Voice| Acute senses
She didnt bother to hide the clip clop sound of her heels against the pavement as she walked through the park towards the way station. She was a statuesque woman roughly 6 foot tall maybe a little more in those heels. Her hair was dark as midnight, eyes a dark doe like color and her skin a olive tone.

She had the features that they might note of a Amazon warrior of old, which is to say her breeding was stamped in her features and if you held her up to some of the greek statues of goddess of old: Well you would have a softer looking version in Aspasia.

She wore a white shirt and black leggings with black knee high boots. She had a tattoo on her shoulder of a shield and sword, a bit of glimmer to it caught their eye and they might recognize it as a dedicated weapon. She did have silver and gold bracelets on as well.

She arched a dark brow hearing the fussy baby. "Do you need some help?" She asked, heading towards Garvan and Dorian, the movements much like a woman on the prowl. Yes, they had caught the attention of the Bacchantes. Two men and a child with no women was of interest to the Goddess Defender. At least she approached nicely and didnt draw that weapon.

User avatar
Gatecrash
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:08 pm

Re: Refugee (Dorian Intro; Attn: ST/Any)

Post by Gatecrash » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:17 pm

Garvan Nowack
Cliath Philodox | Stats | Active Gifts | Flaws | Notable Merits
"Just to that door over there," he said in an easy voice, nodding at the second statement and pointing to the entryway he'd used himself. It wasn't far off, really; not more than a few minutes. Of course, Dorian had to notice the interest in Garvan's eyes at the mention of more to say, but clearly this was not the place for it. Not yet, anyways.

"There must be quite the story to tell, coming all the way from Chicago." Garvan had been there once or twice, both times for larger races, but he doubted that anyone bothered to remember him. That had been years ago and well before his grasp at fame had failed.

"You may need to divest yourself of any weapons," he warned quietly, though with no judgment in his tone. Besides, it would be a token gesture if at all, given that the Garou didn't strictly need any weapons to cause problems. Which reminded him, he'd been remiss on that front, having found a better reason each time to skip out on his own training. He perked up, however, at the sounds of heels and the accompanying voice. Aspasia, right? He had an excellent memory, but that short meeting hadn't proven to be too memorable otherwise, and in a far different place.

"Good to meet you again; it has been a little while." A friendly smile accompanied the slightly familiar tone, and he nodded to her question. "The company would be welcome."

Of course, it couldn't be much further to the Waystation itself, and Garvan made to keep walking, long strides deflecting only to bring them a bit closer to the Amazon. Eyes flicked back to Dorian, still watching him, though with less of the care from before. Doubtless, Aspasia could handle things better than he, but that wouldn't absolve Garvan of his responsibility.

"Dorian Graves, meet Aspasia," he continued by way of introduction, but quieted afterwards. Best to let them both find the measure of each other. Besides, it would be better to let her speak, easier then to hear the truth of the man's words. (Truth of Gaia: 5 successes)

User avatar
Nickpire
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:31 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Re: Refugee (Dorian Intro; Attn: ST/Any)

Post by Nickpire » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:59 pm

Dorian "Chain-Breaker" Graves | Current Form: Homid | Rage 6/6 | Gnosis 5/6 | Willpower 6/6 | Active Gifts: Smell of Man | Animal Magnetism, Pure-Breed 2, Appearance 3 | Fetish: Truth Earring | Renown: Glory 3, Honor 1, Wisdom 1 | Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish | Armed: Knife (Concealed)

"It's a story all right." Dorian agreed with Garven's assessment of the situation. "Full of all those little bits of drama that Galliards love."

To be fair, he'd known several who were masterful storytellers. He could remember life growing up by the Sept, listening to Moon-on-the-Rocks tell the cubs and other children tales of the hidden world. As a child, Dorian had thought a lot of it was made up. As an adult, he realized Moon was being kind in not trying to frighten the little ones too bad with knowledge of what was really out there.

Dorian walked towards the indicated door and gave a quiet laugh. As if a Garou needed a weapon to be dangerous.

"Your house, your rules." He agreed. "Didn't come all this way to anger my hosts."

He heard the heels too and Dorian's head snapped to the source of the sound. The woman making it couldn't be mistaken for casual passerby. Her breeding was so clearly displayed that he could practically hear her ancestors howling on the wind. Garvan came from good stock, Dorian could tell, and his own lineage was pronounced but not to the degree of the female approaching.

His body language became more cautious but not aggressive. Natalie was clutched a little tighter by reflex. But she asked if he needed help without mockery. Legit concern then? Being a social pariah was going to make him paranoid if he let it.

"Well met, Aspasia." It sounded Greek... a Fury then, likely as not. "I came here for a new home. Help would be an added bonus."

Some Furies he'd meet before were real whackos, man-hating zealots that would sooner shank him than speak with him. He didn't know Aspasia but already the more direct yet helpful offer was a welcome companion to Garven's amiable treatment. Not that he planned to hand over Natalie to a stranger. He met her gaze a moment, evaluating, but didn't initiate a staredown. Judging by the tattoo, she was well armed.

Everett would have loved her. Wouldn't have stopped talking about her assets. Look where that got everyone... the Rage in his heart warmed at the thought of his brother but hardly risked breaking through.

"I'm from farther east. Chicago."

Garvan's ongoing Truth of Gaia would find no lies in his words, even with few definitive statements being made.
"Trust your gut before your head gets in the way". -Joe Miller

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests