On the Hunt (Log: Colin, John)

Gatecrash

On the Hunt (Log: Colin, John)

Post by Gatecrash » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:08 pm

John Whitten
I heard the stone zip forward, using that opportunity to step quickly after it. The tone, and the correction, was not lost on me, though, and I left without a further word, keeping that neutral (if a little grim) expression I'd spent so long perfecting on my features. Yeah, there'd be a talk later, but what was he going to say when I got results? Results, in my experience, tended to be far louder than mere words.

Two, though. Guess that means that Colin would have to redo his plans again, but I could work with just about anyone for the right reasons. Orders from Misha counted as the right reason too. Still striding towards the elevator, I gave him the barest of glances, just enough to show I was talking to him. "If I'm driving, then it's my car." Oh, he'd love that. Just wait until he saw it.

Colin Waymen
He followed the stone, stopping long enough to wait for the elevator and stepped in. "That’s fine, considering I don’t have one." And down the elevator and outside. They moved through the same door that Jesse had exited, a few feet out they did find a crushed phone. There was a mental sigh from Colin seeing that.

John Whitten
Paranoia, I got. Paranoia, I could understand quite readily. It and stress were both good friends of mine, and yes, they were out to get me. I had the scars to prove it. I stopped to see if she'd done anything else with the phone, trusting that Colin would keep an eye on the stone. He'd know how that thing worked far better than I would. Besides, she may not have destroyed everything, and I knew a few things about finding people. Even ones gone to ground. Pocketing the thing, I pointed towards the back of the parking lot, to a car nestled behind a Jeep.

"That's mine," I said, pulling out the keys and dropping my bag into a hand. Easier to run that way, way easier.

Colin Waymen
It looked crushed, like it had been run over or something. He gave a nod once they started to move again. "I’ll try to let you know when we need to turn prior to the turn." He moved towards the car

John Whitten
I nodded, considering just how this all was going to work out. Twitchy, possibly quite angry wolf as the navigator; me as the driver. What could go wrong? Rather, what could possibly be right with this? Not that I was crazy about the idea, but maybe if I was one of them myself, I'd be less concerned. More able to fight that way, but all the extra baggage just didn't seem worth it. Better to be seen as some kind of useful tool than deal with that; I could get over opinions at least.

As we got closer, I couldn't help but beam a little. This had been my bad decision with my enlistment money. I wasn't a vain man, really, but the 1979 Pontiac Firebird was my sole nod to vanity. I took good care of it too, even made sure to keep everything in as good shape as I could, not being a mechanic. Unlocking the door, I slung my bag into the back, slid into the seat and unlocked his door as well.

"Just point the way, and we'll have her back soon enough." Yeah, this was going to be a fun drive; I didn't usually get to drive very far at all. Shame, really.

Colin Waymen
He stopped and almost dropped the stone seeing the car, but managed to catch himself and not lose the ritual. Lucky him. He got into the passenger seat. "So... nice car. Gas guzzler?" He asked as he held the stone up slightly. "Think we need to go right then first left it’s looking."

"Let’s hope, she doesn’t typically rabbit."

John Whitten
"Yeah, especially on the ride down to Spokane," I admitted, throwing the car into gear and pulling out of the parking spot. Oh, and threw the crushed phone into the back, not caring so much but I was a thorough man. Maybe she'd not done the job correct and I could pull the information off her SIM, or maybe even the hard drive on it. Worth a shot at least.

"Despite appearances, Colin, I'm just as invested in finding her as you are," I said evenly, hoping he'd catch that as the vague apology it was meant to be. I wasn't remorseful for what I'd done, but we'd need to have some kind of reconciliation if this were to continue much further. Couldn't have someone next to me that I had to worry about, not right now. What was that, paranoia? They really were out to get me? Yes, I already knew that. Trouble or no, I wasn't about to go into this thinking that everything was going to be sunshine and rainbows and that meant certain amends had to be made.

Colin Waymen
"Ouch. Beautiful car though" He really hoped the guy didn’t drive like a granny, he’s not sure he could handle that right now.

Hearing him though made the Galliard go quiet for a little bit and said, "She’s all I have left. We lost our pack, my mate and child. She was the only one to survive. I get, worried... easily but I also know her. If she rabbited, it’s new and," he made a face. "She had very little memory, so. " He sighed, "I’m normally a better person than letting my temper rise like that."

John Whitten
"Thanks." Driving is not something I do a whole lot of anymore, but I'm not about to drive this car below what it deserves. Smooth turn to the right then left aside, I continue forward, careful not to go so fast I can't make any adjustments. Traffic isn't entirely my friend, though. Usually isn't. Go figure, right?

I glanced over at him, then the strange rock to see if anything made sense to me. Sure enough, it didn't really; I mean, what did they expect from me? I wasn't some kind of magician, just a regular-ish person too stubborn for his own good most of the time. Still, I listened to his story, careful to keep my eyes on the road and ready to make a quick turn if I had to; I was certain it would happen at the worst instant. After he finished speaking, I looked at him again, taking note of his features and especially the sigh, then turned my attention back to driving.

"I've been around you all for most of my life, so believe me, I get it. We'll find her and call all of this good." Hopefully he didn't expect me to say something more inspiring than that. I wasn't that kind of person, not after everything.

Colin Waymen
He just nodded and said, "Get on the freeway." He watched the cars and buildings pass. His brows together as the stone said, freeway.

John Whitten
Right then. Game time. I turned onto the freeway as instructed, walking through my going-in argument as I drove. There were still a lot of unanswered questions here, not to mention why the hell I'd even been sent on this chase to begin with. Whoever this Constantine person was, they'd better be important. Or at least rich. I'd take a commission.

Colin Waymen
He was quiet, just giving directions now. They got out to a more rich area, rural almost. He finally pointed out a vehicle, "That’s her car... but the stone says straight for now." And about 4 blocks later they would turn a few times. Finally, just after the sun set they came upon what was once a large estate. And it was now rubble. "She’s… apparently in there."

This was not a scene that should be in Vegas: It’s one that John might be familiar with. This was at one point a war zone.

John Whitten
Coming to a stop, I turned off the engine and surveyed the area for a brief second. Oh, I'd seen something like this before and they never quite seemed to end well. Important person has a home, gets it confiscated by someone and that spot gets shelled a day later. Million stories like it in the places I'd been in a former life. Made my glad I had the rifle with me, but it stayed put in the bag. Fishing it free so that I could exit the car, I got out and closed the door as silently as I dared.

"Shall we," I said in a low voice, the one that would've told a deaf man that I was focused and a little amped up. Combat had a way of giving me that extra pep in my step, even the promise of it.

Colin Waymen
"Yeah. You ever been mentally linked into a pack or with another before?" He asked getting out of the car, he did shift to glabro so his senses were more acute. "If you don’t mind, might not be a bad idea." The stone pulled slightly, "We move that way, to the right of the mansion."

John Whitten
"Not even dinner first?" I shook my head for effect, and it gave me all the info I needed on him. That weird not-quite man shape they liked to use; that meant he expected a fight as well. Good, that'd make him at least a little bit of a fighter and far less of a liability for me. "Do what you have to," I ended up saying, shaking a hand just a little to get the tension out of it. Didn't shoot nearly as well that way.

Colin Waymen
The transition was smooth enough that it was clear the young man had done this a few times. Okay, all you have to do is think to me and vice versa. I can’t read your thoughts and you can’t read mine. The intent has to be there. But its better then tech which can be shut down.

He used the stone to direct them and moved around the right of the house, John could see areas that had bullet holes in them but only the trained eye might pick that up, but more some stone had scorch marks in them. He building was big enough to have been a school. Floral gardens where destroyed and even trees were felled.

What the hell happen here? He said.

John Whitten
Not that I was overly concerned or that it was difficult to do so, but I made sure to keep my thoughts on the mission. Distractions could kill you, and while I was not all that keen on having someone else in my head, he had a point. It would be better than a radio breaking, and way quieter. Made creeping up to the compound easier, but didn't help my gut instinct that I should have my rifle drawn at all.

Firefight. Bad one. It took a little bit of getting used to, but I don't think I was going to accidentally expose him to anything he didn't want to know. Okay, so I drew my pistol for the sole comfort of having something to hold on to; not because I thought it would help all that much. Reminds me of some bad old days. Don't get too far away and keep your eyes open.

Colin Waymen
I can smell her. He stopped and watched the stone. Stone isn’t working… it’s just spinning. He frowned. They seemed to be outside what looked like a fallen chapel.

John Whitten
Didn't most buildings have an entry of some kind? Who the hell built a place you couldn't get into? I continued to poke around the ruined structure, careful to keep my car in line of sight regardless. Didn't want to get too far away from my ticket out of here, after all.

Not supposed to do that? What did I know about what it was supposed to do or not. Sounded bad, at least.

Colin Waymen
Not really, no. As John poked around he finally found a space that had steps, it was pretty obscure and dark. Colin looked around, keeping his eyes and ears sharp

Gatecrash

Re: On the Hunt (Log: Colin, John)

Post by Gatecrash » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:47 pm

John Whitten
Entry here. I'd deliberated for a long time about how best to do this sort of thing, carrying a rifle quietly like this. Answer was that there wasn't a good way to do it, not without sacrificing one way or the other, so I'd made a sacrifice towards having more gear with me. That meant that the bag was planted firmly on my back, rifle tucked tight into it and very much inaccessible if this escalated like I feared it might.

Dark. Going to shine a light. I shined a small flashlight down into the entryway, handgun held low in the other hand while the tiny penlight showed me very little. Granted, it wasn't bright either, but that was the idea. Didn't always want to advertise that I was using it. Guess it also meant that it might not wash out night vision, mine or his, as much.

Colin Waymen
Alright. He said and followed quietly, his footsteps making no sound.

The air smelt like debris and there was rubble. But as they moved they came into the main chamber of a small cathedral. Oddly the alter area and baptismal font were still intact, as was the wall that had the cross on it.

Sitting on her jacket, against the alter was the young woman they were seeking. The short-sleeved shirt might answer the question as to why Horseman was concerned about people asking about her scars. On the left arm from wrist to shirt and likely more was scar tissue upon scar tissue, and on the right it ended at her elbow. Bite marks, claw, burns from crosses.

The woman rose as the light peeked in, and with a flick of her wrist a sword extended. She lowered her head not to be exposed to the light or impeded.

John Whitten
The smell brought me back a little, reminding of a cave. I'd only ever entered a cave a few times; none of them good. Doubtful this would break that streak. Gripping the pistol just a bit tighter as I neared the main chamber itself, I extinguished the light, the damage having been done anyways and there was no further reason to destroy my night vision.

Weapon. I hadn't entirely meant to pass it over, but the callout was instinctual as I glimpsed the light reflecting off that sword at the last second. The softly glowing moss would have to do for further ID, but I remained quiet and near the entryway regardless, though I wasn't exactly trying to hide. That may convey the wrong idea, but I wasn't about to let her near me with a sword and no idea of what she may try and do. Let Colin deal with it; he's a big boy. He could take the hit. You should talk to her. Better a familiar voice than mine.

Colin Waymen
Nope, this is your rodeo. You said you could bring her back, I’d like to see you throw her over your shoulder and try... There was amusement in his mental tone and he didn't just stand there, he did move from behind John and put his hands up. Seeing better was a bonus in Glabro, and he eyed the sword a moment, fully aware of what she could do with it.

"Hey. Jesse...calm down there. It’s me, Far Cry. Hudson’s son. I was concerned. We, were concerned." Better get that out there now.

Hearing the voice and the light off she lifted her face; there was a sound akin to a feminine grunt at the words. She lowered her hand and the sword started to retract back into its spatial fold, probably a talen or something.

"Sorry, needed to come back to see if I could remember more. I’m fine, just…" the woman said in response.

John Whitten
I didn't laugh so much, just watching as he stepped forward to calm her down. Couldn't care less if he wanted to rib, so long as he did what I'd rather he do. As she put the sword away, however it was that worked, I slipped my Glock back into its holster, breathing out in quiet relief. Seemed like the harder part was over.

I thought to say something, I really did, but didn't want to ruin things at this critical point. Definitely something in those eyes that I didn't quite like even as I understood them, not just because I couldn't quite see in the dim lighting.

Colin Waymen
Colin breathed in. "You’re bleeding, I can smell it. Let’s take you home to get you patched up."

He, however, didn’t move and kept his hands up where she could see them.

"So I am," She said and turned her head slightly to look at her shoulder and shrugged. "Guys. I’m okay. I’m not entirely sure why you’re here but I am here for a reason and I need to work it out. I can handle myself. Thank you." Her tone was pretty firm and final.

John Whitten
Bleeding, how bad? I could see some of the wounds, but he'd be better positioned to spot them than I would. Especially if he could smell them. I did have some tools in my bag to help with that, but with the tone in her voice? Oh, that was one I knew quite well. Short of a growl from them, more of a warning than anything else. Of course, that only made things more difficult because Misha's orders had been clear: I needed to speak to someone that Jesse apparently knew. Great...

"I'm sure you're able to handle yourself, Jesse," I spoke out at last, careful to keep my voice calm and neutral, "I just need some info." Oh, I guess this was the part where Colin realized that while I wasn't lying, I had other orders than he probably had. Hopefully those orders would stay aligned for now and we could keep all of this civil.

Colin Waymen
Not sure, can just smell the blood and the pregnancy.

"Well, can we at least see to the wound?" He asked. Not entirely sure telling her Horseman wants her home is a good idea at the moment

Jesse sat back down, her shoulders rising. "Yeah that might not be a bad idea." She looked towards John and nodded, "If I can help..."

John Whitten
Agreed. I was certain that between the two of us, we could probably manhandle her back to the Waystation, but that would make the drive back difficult at best. And, if Murphy could be trusted (the asshole), there was more than just that sword she had squirreled away in her not-sleeves. Stepping forward, but still careful to watch her body language, I dug a small first aid kit from an exterior pocket and set to work at triage and bandaging.

"Just the shoulder," I asked, looking over things no matter what she might say. The scars, well, they were impressive to say in the least and that amputation at the elbow had my instincts twitching more than a little. Granted, if it hadn't done her in by now, it was doubtful it would later, but I had to wonder how she'd had it treated. If at all.

"Any damage to the child?" I wouldn't be able to do much if there were, but I could at least document it and pass along the info to someone better suited. I was no medic, after all. "Anything that isn't where it was when we met?"

Should probably reach out to Horseman and inform him we have eyes on her at least. I'll need both hands for a bit. So, okay maybe there was a benefit to this sort of link.

Colin Waymen
Might need four hands He mentally noted and said, "I’m at least going to let Horseman know you’re okay; he wants you to call him if you would. But Ill step topside to do it."

She looked up at that and watched Colin as he left then looked at John, her brows came together. "The baby is fine, I wasn’t attacked." She made a motion to let him look, and considered. Then she moved in a way that allowed her to slip out of the shirt enough that he could see her shoulder, while still being modest.

Her skin was warm, and she had a bit of sweat on her skin. Those scars didn’t just end at the shoulders, they were everywhere and added among them was a bite mark. It was large, done by a large mouth. The blood was more seepage of the wound reopening then actual bleeding but there was a bit of yellow in that blood.

In this light, though she looked familiar.

John Whitten
Just maybe. I'll keep you posted. I didn't say anything otherwise as he spoke and then left to go upstairs; I was busy with triage here. Nothing too major, but that discoloration had me a little concerned. Something clicked, though, between the smell of dust, blood, and this wreckage of a place. Funny how time was cyclical.

"Afghanistan. Fallen angel," I said in a quiet tone, referring to the brevity term for a downed aircraft and its personnel. I'd worked recovery long enough to be familiar with it and I was betting she knew the term too. Of course, maybe there was an unintended bit of impetus to that query as I set to work cleaning out the wound and packing it. I knew what I was doing, so long as things didn't escalate further.

Colin Waymen
That made her head jerk up a little and look at him. She just watched his face as he worked, a wince coming when he hit a spot she could actually feel. "Yeah. Another life."

Those were definite wolf bites on her shoulder, a bit big for a normal sized wolf though.

"Think it tore open when I was down here. Didn’t feel it." Which was true, she didn’t and hadn’t noticed the seepage.

John Whitten
I doubt I showed much at all when she perked up a little at my question because I was rather busy trying to patch her back up. Apparently, this was the second time I'd come to bail her out. Can't say I got the joke behind it, but maybe that was the idea.

"Me too," I said, agreeing with her assessment. Another lifetime, that was for sure. Can't say I missed it. I also didn't miss the bite marks and decided that I would probably save that question for later. No sense getting off mission right now. Speaking of which...

"I need to contact someone. Rachael Constantine. Do you know her?" I stopped looking at the wound at that, staring quite intently for any possible deception. Doubt she'd be able to hide anything from me, throwing the question right at her without preamble.

Colin Waymen
She was quiet as he worked, and when she looked at him he could see that her eyes were a bit feverish. After a few moments, she said, "Why do you need to contact her?" She asked, a hint of curiosity in her voice.

John Whitten
So, it was true. Good. I returned back to my work, noting the way her eyes were just a little glassy. Not all that good, but I could work with that.

"Got orders to speak with her," I admitted, voice still quiet because I wasn't sure if Misha wanted anyone else to know what I was supposed to be doing. Pressing a pad to contain the last bits of seeping blood, I reached out with my other hand to dig out some antibiotics and mild painkillers. Nothing too strong, but they might help. I pressed the prepackaged items into her hand and then dug out a water bottle to give to her too.

"Take them all and finish the bottle," I ordered, voice firm like I'd been trained. Usually worked too. She's banged up, Colin. Get back down here sooner rather than later in case we need to move her. Could I do it by myself? Of course I could, but that wasn't the point. He was a big, strong wolf in that half-shape and I wasn't about to let him skate by.

Colin Waymen
She was quiet again and looked at the package he pushed into her hand. She shook her head and held them back. "I won’t risk hurting the baby." She blinked. "I was okay until that opened," she said, basically to say she recognized being down here could be seen as a risk to the unborn bean.

"But I’ll take the water." She held the packet out to him to exchange it. "Does it need to be right now? Because I would have to arrange it and I’d like to know a little more than just, orders. Because I have my own and as far as I know your orders could be to hurt her. Wait... aren’t you a member of the Get of Fenris tribe?"

John. Meet Jesse. Banged up is a pretty common state for her. I’ll be right down.

John Whitten
"Fair enough," I said, trading out the water and pills. It wouldn't be cold water, but I couldn't have everything.

I shook my head at her question, the first one. "Wasn't specific on timing, only that I needed to speak with her." It was true, I guess; the letter didn't say when I had to do it, only that I had to. Besides, I should probably get her out of here soon and it would help with that task anyways. Doubt I could say anything she'd believe right now as it stood and didn't blame her for wanting to fact check.

"I am, for what little that's worth." I suppose my parents wouldn't like me saying that, and that particular thought brought a quirk of a smile to my lips. I'm learning as much. Think she may be stable for now. Horseman aware of her status?

Colin Waymen
"She’s a member of your tribe," she said and took a long drink, then added, "I’ll see if she wants to meet. She’s going to want to know who gave the order." She looked at him and said softly, "Don’t worry, I won’t go around the Waystation announcing it. But she is going to want to know and then I’ll see if I can set it up in the next few days."

I sent him a text. Just waiting on a response

John Whitten
"Misha ordered it," I replied simply, standing and then giving her a little space. As far as the whole "member of the tribe" thing, I suppose I should've cared, but in this case? Well, this Rachael was still an abstract and that made it real easy to not care. Did verify some more information, though, and for that I was glad. Always nice when you can have someone authenticate something for you without being prodded.

"He sounded a bit worried about you. Horseman," I said, still watching her to see if her condition improved any. Not a difficult task, but an important one if I were to make good on my promise. Bleeding edge of technology. Never as fast as you'd like.

Colin Waymen
"Ah. I think that will get a quicker meeting than anything." She reached, started to put the shirt back on all the way. "You’re around the Waystation so I’ll get back to you on it before tomorrow." She started to get up, she did look a little better but still not the best.

"He send you two?" She asked looking at him. She turned and looked back at the cross that hung if haphazardly on the wall. She reached up and crossed herself, kissing her fingers. "I guess I should go home. I think I found what I was looking for here a bit before you came anyway."

He is probably busy. Need me to come down and carry her out?

John Whitten
Normally, I might offer a hand to help someone up, but I doubt that's what she needs right now. That, and it lets me see if she's ambulatory, which also appears to be the case. Good, sort of. I didn't take my eyes off her long, but I did glance back at the exit from here, then turned back to her, noting the small ritual. Interesting. "Effectively," I said, waiting for her to move or not and then following close behind if she did.

Think we're good for now.

Colin Waymen
She was a little unsteady on her feet but not enough to really be alarming, just a cue she might be sick. She followed him out. "So you were there?" She asked as she followed, "When I was extracted?"

John Whitten
A nod again, letting her speak her piece because it gave me more confirmation she had no concussion. Doubted it from the start, but never hurts to be sure.

"I was on the team that pulled you out." Quiet words, those. Pained a little, too. It wasn't long after that the other crash happened and... No, I wouldn't think of that time. That was then. Focus on the now. The real.

"Crazyhorse 13. Ring a bell?" Maybe it would, maybe not. Doubt she'd remember the old callsign, but it was one that I still recalled with a little pride. Except the number; that number was cursed.

Colin Waymen
"Vaguely... maybe the crazy part," she said with half a chuckle, "was a little shell shocked at the time. Didn’t recognize you last evening but I was also a little off." She moved with care, and even hugged the wall a bit as they moved up the steps.

John Whitten
"There were a few things on everyone's minds that day," I agreed, moving quick to support her if she needed it. Well, she probably did, but wanting help might be another story. She didn't look the type, but that didn't mean she didn't actually need help.

"Gonna make it there?" It was a soft question, but a necessary one. Let her make the decision, but the sooner we got out of here, the better. Coming out.

Colin Waymen
She paused and held herself up by the wall. "Eh. Every cell says keep moving even if you have to crawl but part of me also figures, a little help might be a good idea." She chuckled and continued, "As long as I don’t fall over, I think I’ll be okay. "

It took a bit longer to get up top because she moved slow and carefully.

Up top, Colin waited and looked over at them. "We ready to go?"

John Whitten
"Can't say I fault that logic." I didn't say anything else, though, rotating my attention between her and the approaching exit evenly. This was the most dangerous part of any op, right at the end. Everyone is tired, our tolerance is at the lowest, and if you believe Murphy, there's always an ambush waiting to happen. I'd done this enough times to know that he didn't bullshit, and so I was on high alert, keeping a close eye on her, but even more on the surroundings. What could go wrong? Ask me that after we'd gotten out of here. And bring a notebook.

Once outside, I fixed Colin with a look and pulled out my keys, motioning for him to take over. Might even help his own probably frayed nerves, or maybe not. "I'll get the car brought over here and we can get rolling."

Colin Waymen
He moved over and put a arm around Jesse, who kind of glared up at him then shrugged. He nodded. "Alright, see you in a few then." He would move faster, but he moved to help Jesse a bit.