For Services Rendered (Log: Iona, John)

More of an outpost to the Emerald Heart than a sept in its own right, the caern known as the Emerald City Waystation acts as the major moonbridge hub for the city as well as the normal stomping grounds for the city's more urban wolves.
Gatecrash

For Services Rendered (Log: Iona, John)

Post by Gatecrash » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:06 pm

John Whitten
It's not difficult to send a message, usually. It's a separate problem entirely when you're trying to message someone out in the middle of nowhere and you need a proxy to get it there for you. Of course, I could've just gone there myself and talked to Iona, but then that would've been a direct violation, and I can only afford to do that so many times. And, really, I should know better than to let a whelp rile me up like that. They didn't know much better, and I do; blah blah blah. I was wrong, sort of.

Anyways, I stood near the entrance to the moon bridge, drumming a few fingers against the wall while I waited. Oh man do I hate waiting. That's probably why I do it so often.

Iona
She had gotten the message and found it curious, so it was not long before the moon bridge came to life and the tall Get of Fenris stepped through. Her breeding was almost as bad as Misha’s, in that it smacked those of the nation up alongside the face like a brick but there was a bit of tempered feel to her due to her spirit heritage.

She looked like a hero of old, but there was a light blue hue to her skin that was easily missed. Her eyes were a clear as ice blue and about as hard. Her hair was bone white and had typical warriors’ braids in it to keep it from her face and allowed it to fall down her shoulders and back. She was dressed in a pair of jeans and boots, with a short-sleeved tee, the tattoo of her hammer visible next to a glyph that had been branded into her flesh.

The air around her was colder than the air everywhere else and if she stayed still too long sometimes frost would gather, depending on her mood.

Those eyes found him and she inclined her head in greeting, putting a hand out in a way that did not request a handshake but that greeting of one warrior to another. "John."

John Whitten
As soon as she stepped through, I felt the temperature drop a few degrees as if by magic, but the jacket I customarily wore took most of the bite away. Besides, I was used to worse. Far worse. Standing up fully from where I'd been leaning, I turned my head just a little away, not wanting to start that game they so loved to play. Besides, I'd lose; I had to.

"Iona," I replied, taking up the greeting hand. I have to admit, it wasn't a common one; only had seen a few of my extended family do it, but I'd practiced a few times per their wishes. That was back, well, before. "I owe you some time back at the forge. Eventually." That last bit was quieter than I expected, but the offer was genuine. She probably had a backlog, and this would be taking up valuable time.

Iona
There was a firm squeeze at the meat of his forearm when they shook, then her hand dropped. His soft tone made her smile a little. "I suppose that depends on why you called me out here. Shall we move or is this high traffic area a good place to have whatever you need discussed?" Her tone, while not warm, was not rude or concerned. Simply... she came off more cold then most Garou in temperament but something in there had seemed to be amused.

John Whitten
"You know why," I said, voice still low because while it didn't bother me, I was asking for her help. That meant certain things, and besides, she was the lead around here. For us, anyways. Yeah, old habits really did die hard. You didn't complain up publicly; not becoming at all.

"We can walk." It was more of a suggestion, because she could do whatever she damn well pleased. "Or whatever you'd prefer."

Iona
"Walking is fine," she said and started to move.
"Did Mends the Rift not give you a date you could return?" She asked, no judgement there. It simply was. Plus, insuring that she wasn’t stepping on the equative to a Jharl’s toes was wise.

John Whitten
I followed right behind her, careful to keep her to my right. Customs and courtesies, right? That's right, be the good little drone they always wanted you to be. Oh, how they'd love to see me now...

"No." It was a simple answer, with an equally simple tone to match the shake of the head. I wasn't complaining just yet, although if she bothered to look at features that echoed her own just a little, she might be able to tell I wasn't happy either. Not that I should be. "I can't exactly ask him either." Not without breaking protocol, which is why I'd asked to speak with her to begin with. Of course, I very easily could do just that, and it had crossed my mind to just return anyways. Only for a second though; I had to follow the rules eventually. Just not always with a smile.

Iona
She did look over at him at that. "Why is returning to the Sept important to you? Many Kin would be happy to be told to leave for a long while and be overlooked for a time. Even be celebrating it." Of course, questions like these always were deeper than the surface.

John Whitten
I didn't break stride at her question, but internally? I have to admit, I was fuming a little. No, I'm not most Kin. I hate being left alone or pigeon holed. Mostly alone, but they don't need to know that. On the selfish side, I had a better setup over there, and the outdoors part of it were phenomenal. Like a working dog, though, I needed a job. Out there, that meant doing patrols and otherwise sharpening people's skills. And here? Here, I was rotting. No one here's fault, but fault didn't factor into things at all.

"Iona," I started, keeping my voice as still as I could, which would be glass if it were water, "You know I don't do well with vacation time. Especially the enforced kind."

Iona
Her hand came up, the back of it went against his chest which would or should stop him from walking when she turned abruptly to look at him. "You also do not do well being given orders, or is that just with the newer changed ones who haven’t exactly earned their rank?" She stepped a little closer. "Do you realize that here you at least don’t have to deal with that? You kind of can follow your OWN orders..." She shook her head and watched him again.

There was a bit of an outtake of breath that wasn’t quite a sigh. "And isn’t some pack HERE basically answer for you?"

John Whitten
I stopped dead just a fraction before the hand came up and her tone all but barked at me. Oh, it bit just as much as I'd expected, but it didn't find any chinks in my armor. Yeah, I'd expected that coming. "I earned that," I admitted at her first question, having given it a moment after she stopped just to make sure there was nothing else. No point in denying things, and with my track record? Well, spotless was not the right word for it.

"I don't lead," I continued, the words bitter enough even if I was sure to not use that arguing tone I liked so much, "Giving myself orders is pointless." It was true, and I think she may have remembered that. I could do it all, could kick doors, could sit for a few days without moving if that's what I needed. Lead, though? No, not since getting home. Not ever, maybe.

"There has to be." It was a clean admission as well, but they weren't part of the family. That counted for something, to me anyways. Something else she had to know about me, and I couldn't exactly step out of the way of the train if she wanted to throw me onto the tracks. A lie would be worse anyways.

Iona
"Look. -I- don’t mind you giving me lip, if I minded a Kin being lippy I’d not be dealing with Anneliese." She actually smiled, a genuine and affectionate smile for the woman mentioned. But that smile faded as she watched him. "I actually appreciate the fire there. Me, or Mends the Rift, or Silent Bansidhe, Dead Eye, or even Horseman you likely aren’t going to get much reaction from beyond MAYBE being thrown through a wall." She couldn’t forget that had happened once with one of those mentioned. "And that only after taking it too far. Newly changed? You know better."

Well she had not really said much on the matter before, but apparently, she was NOT amused that he almost ticked one off enough that the Sept Alpha had sent him this way. Not that he had talked to her about it or anything. She continued to stare at him, and said almost calmly, "I think I would actually be disappointed if that one had Raged and ripped you to shreds." Her lips pressed together for a moment before she stepped back, "Despite what you might think, losing you would be a loss to the tribe... especially to something as stupid as poking a uncontrollable child"

She lowered her hand. "There has to be? You don’t know?"

John Whitten
I blinked, then went over what she'd said again, just to be sure. I'd been around them almost my entire life, barring the years I'd spent in Afghanistan and I'm not sure I'd ever heard that kind of thing before. Appreciate the fire? How often had I heard the opposite, and railed against it? Oh, their eyes could hold so much disappointment in them, after I'd gotten back. They'd expected so much from me, but, well, no point in caring now. That was the past, and I could do far more now than I could then. Just don't let my family know that, they'd probably hunt me down; thinking I had my own ambitions.

"I do, and I'm not going to whine. It's done," I said, and meant it. She'd heard what happened, shit, had probably seen it though I had other things on my mind at the time. Still, her own eyes bored into me, looking for something, I don't know what. It wouldn't phase me, never had. Never will.

"I have a name of someone and maybe have seen them, but nothing more." Business at that, not even a hint of accusation. I'd been a bit scarce myself, but I hadn't exactly left the compound in going on two weeks. Surely, that was enough time?

Iona
There was a slow blink from her, he could see a bit of frost forming over her right jaw and ear and if he looked, the floor and her boots. "Well if you did whine about it I’d lose a good bit of respect for you"

she reached up and scratched the icy cheek which melted it and she looked to the left and right then at him "Maybe you just need to be in the care of a pack that is family. Have you met Anneliese and Augmund?"

John Whitten
Again, that strange magic at work, and I could feel some of that same cold creeping past my clothing. I'm not going to lie, especially because I'm bad at it, I didn't have any idea why that was the case with Iona. I'm sure there was a good enough explanation, but knuckledragger me didn't get involved with things I couldn't see. There was a short nod at her statement, and I let it go after that. The weak whined, and I was not weak. Irritated, maybe, but not weak.

The suggestion was tempting, and maybe that was meant to be the hook. At least with other tribemates, there'd be more understanding. Perhaps even less of the issues I'd had lately. No, I shouldn't be isolated; I knew what happened when I was isolated. "I met Anneliese a little after getting here. Some of her family too." It was a simple enough thing to say, and true on top of that. "Augmund, maybe a little. Don't know him very well."

Iona
A pale brow arched high. "Some of her family? Oh, you mean her cousin..." Her nose wrinkled with clear distaste but went back to normal and she crossed her arms. "Alright, I will speak to Mends the Rift and let him know that I will be taking you under Hammer of the Gods."

John Whitten
Was I crazy? That was a conversation to have with myself another time, and I ended up just nodding at her comment. I had no opinion at all on the cousin, having only met her in passing once. Not enough to form any real opinion, and I think I may have been on a trip on that one. Spokane was a helluva drive just for work, but I couldn't stand living there and the pay was enough to make it worthwhile.

"Been a while, being with family." I even smiled a bit at the thought, just enough of a crease to be called one. Of course, it hadn't all been sunshine and rainbows, but at least some things were understood. Or tolerated. "I look forward to it."

Iona
"I’ll see if I can get in to speak to Mends tonight, you think you can hold out another day?" She asked with an amused tone.

John Whitten
It'd been a couple weeks already; what would another day or two mean? I smiled a bit wider at the ribbing, clearly satisfied. Back to some actual work, and back to the woods. What more could I want?

"I may have one more day left in me," I replied. Better this hell than the mountain, at least.

Iona
She nodded a bit. "Alright. Anything I need to know about before I go speak to the Fang?" Being clear was always nice, and she didn’t like a lot of surprises.

John Whitten
A shake of the head, "No." I think it was obvious enough that it wouldn't happen again, and I was eager enough to get back to work instead of finding things to do here like pretend I was some kind of security guard. I wasn't, not at all.

"You have my word, it'll not happen again."

Iona
"I’ll hold you to that." She started to move back towards the moon bridge "If I can get in to see him tonight, I’ll contact you so that you can come home. "I think I may have a few projects at the forge you can help me with."

John Whitten
"I'll be here," I said, stepping back to give her some space. As far as the work was concerned, I didn't much mind either, it'd be a welcome change from what I was dealing with here as far as entertainment and exercise. "Fair deal, I've always wondered what working a forge was like."

Iona
She half turned to look at him "You have never been? Huh. Well, I will show you then. Good evening, John," she said, turning back and heading to the moon bridge.