Splitting Hairs (Log: Garvan)

For scenes that take place in the past, whether far-flung or not too long before the start of the game
Gatecrash

Splitting Hairs (Log: Garvan)

Post by Gatecrash » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:32 pm

StorytellerFox
Some time had passed since Garvan's arrival among his ancestors, long enough for the seasons to have changed from fall to a rather snowy winter. The spirits of the members of this particular village remained high, however, with more than enough to go around thanks to proper preparations and the forest around them still offering something worth hunting when the need arose.

On this particular morning Garvan found the cabin where he dwelled quiet for the most part, although the sounds of exertion coming from the back yard would catch the keen ear.

Garvan Nowack
Take care you don't catch a cold. Well, if you can even catch one here. Snow, he was not unfamiliar with, having lived in Seattle for most of his life, although he already realized that it was one thing to snow in the Northwest and another thing entirely here. For one thing, he realized that clothing did actually make the man sometimes, and while it was easy enough to stay in motion, there was only so much he could do to fight off the cold. Speaking of which, it was freezing in his cabin and the quiet did little to improve his spirits, still confused as he was on most days.

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to venture out and see what the noise was all about? So decided, he bundled up as best he could and made for the exit, resolving to himself that motion would be just the cure he needed right now. Better that further inaction, at least.

StorytellerFox
Heading out to the back, Garvan would see Connor equally bundled up and with an ax in hand, a pile of wood already split sitting nearby and another stack of logs to be gone through off to the other side. He looked up as the Philodox came out, giving him a quick nod. "Hey. Didn't wake you up, did I?"

Garvan Nowack
He supposed that made sense, and the rhythmic noise registered in hindsight as having been exactly that. If it were so easy, then why did you miss it? Fortunately, he'd been forced to speak Gaelic daily and it came to him far faster than before, even when the specifics of Connor's tone and dialect still gave him a bit of trouble at times.

"No," he admitted, taking a few steps towards the other man, "I was already awake. Is there another axe?" He'd had only a little practice at chopping firewood, but he figured it would be a welcome way to warm up a bit more.

StorytellerFox
"There is, yeah." He motioned towards a small wooden shed set up against the back of the cabin, the door unlocked at the moment. "Not opposed to a bit of help."

Garvan Nowack
Garvan was not a particularly strong man, not when he ran as much or as far as he did, but hefted the axe easily enough on returning with it. This? This would be a welcome change of practice, even if he did not tire easily at all. Taking up near the stack of logs, he grabbed one and balanced it, bringing the axe up to swing and then down again in a quick motion.

Well, it was practice after all. Garvan swung again, splitting the log correctly this time and grabbing another. Hard work, this would be. "Is it this cold normally?" Of course, he had no idea one way or the other, but neither was he keen on keeping the silence.

StorytellerFox
"Usually, yeah." Connor nodded, getting a log lined up and eyeing it for a moment before taking a solid thwack with his own axe. "It starts warming up a bit around Imbolc, but the cold stays until spring properly comes a month or two later."

Garvan Nowack
Imbolc. That was a name he'd not heard since childhood and it took a moment for him to figure out just what date that was. Beginning of spring, right? In context, that sounded about right, the thought accentuated by him splitting another log. Only a single attempt this time, although who could know how long that luck would last.

Garvan nodded at last to the other's statement, quiet in concentration before taking yet another swing. "I suppose I should be ready for more cold, then. Must be another few months until then, at the least."

StorytellerFox
"Couple. Got Yule coming up first." Connor smirked a touch at that, moving the split log off to the pile beside him before getting another log set up. "Assuming you're still here for that, anyway."

Garvan Nowack
Yule, should not forget that either. Not that there was any reason to count the days; he would leave here whenever it was decided that he would leave. Until then? Chop wood, Garvan supposed. It passed the time well enough. All the same, he paused at Connor's last bit, turning to look at the other man with a mild expression.

"A fair question, that. There must be more for me to do, or see, or learn still, I guess." A shrug at that, the movement shrouded by another quick swing of the axe.

"I must admit, I am curious," he continued after a moment, "You both seemed to recognize me a little when I first arrived. Why was that?" It was a small thing, but one that had scratched at the back of his mind ever since, right up to now when the moment seemed better than not asking at all.

StorytellerFox
"Wager so. Folks usually come here for a reason, and if you haven't found it yet then you'll probably be here until you do."

Connor smirked at the question, chuckling a bit. "You're family. Took a moment to click, what with the whole about to be gutted thing on my end, but I recognized you after a bit."

Garvan Nowack
A nod at that first part; it certainly seemed to be the case. In either case, no sense in trying to further figure it out; what would be would be. Of course, he recognized the smirk now as part and parcel, seemingly, to Connor and smiled a little himself. It was an easy question, right?

"There were other complicating factors at the time, yes." That widened the smile a little more, though not mockingly. "I am still uncertain, however. Is it really that simple of a matter?" Perhaps it was?

StorytellerFox
"Yes and no." The smirk widened a touch, pausing to look Garvan over. "We're not just family in the tribal sense. Can't say how far back off-hand, but we're actual blood."

Garvan Nowack
Garvan couldn't recall if he'd known that already, but it made a certain sort of sense. Fortunately, too, the stack of logs seemed to have shrunk considerably, and while he was certainly warm and his breathing elevated a little, he didn't feel tired in the slightest.

"I suppose that is why I was brought here then." It was strange, saying it that way, but that also rang true to him. "Although, it makes for a few more questions than it answers as well."

StorytellerFox
"Probably. Stag guided you here, and he usually knows what he's doing." Connor chuckled, giving a nod. "Ask away; can't say I know the answers, but I'm willing to give it a shot."

Garvan Nowack
Maybe not that close of a family, then, if Connor was seriously considering allowing Garvan to ask what he thought. A wry smile worked its way onto his face despite still chipping away at the pile of logs and he thought for a short moment before speaking.

"All of this, us," he started, taking the shortest of breaks to simply point to himself and Connor, "is connected, yes? If it is, and I have no reason to suspect that it is not, that begs the question. A big one, if I am honest." He paused again, considering his words, not the least because he wasn't sure what he was even thinking at the time.

"Simply, if everything is connected like this, then I do not understand the reason for it."

StorytellerFox
The kin's eyebrow arched a touch at that, taking his own brief break from the work to look him over. "The reason for what?"

Garvan Nowack
Too subtle, the question, he supposed. Not an uncommon occurrence. If he seemed hesitant, it was because while he knew the answer, he didn't fully believe it despite the evidence provided so far. Even the stories seemed just that to him; stories told at a bedside or by the fire with just enough truth in them to be interesting. Nothing more.

"There can't be random chance for all of that," he started evenly, voice still approaching trepidation despite that, "So who decided it had to be that way?"

StorytellerFox
"Ah...now that's a question." Connor smirked, finally getting another log set up to be chopped. "Imagine that depends on who you ask. Can see it being Stag knowing that you needed a hand with something that we could provide, maybe, and you happened to be able to offer help in return."

Garvan Nowack
That hadn't quite been his question, but it would satisfy in either case. This for that, then. Easy enough to understand anyways. "That makes as much sense as anything else has so far. It has not been easy, trying to learn and figure out everything."

Not living with such knowledge one's entire life did seem to be kind of a drawback, the more he thought of it. No more, though. It could not be allowed to continue any further. "Where did you live before," he asked, switching to an easier to digest topic. At least, it seemed easier.

StorytellerFox
"Takes a bit to get your head wrapped around it, yeah." He nodded, taking a moment to split the log in front of him before he continued. "Waterford. It's in the southern part of the Isle, not too far from the coast."

Garvan Nowack
Interesting. "My mother said some of her family still lived in and around Dublin, but I have no clue myself." He shrugged at that, because he truly had no idea. The name Waterford was also one that passed him by rather quickly, not just because he'd only heard the name and not where exactly it was outside of the description.

"I suppose moving around a bit makes some sense." The sound of cracking wood again, and he grabbed at one of the last remaining logs. Tiring work, this, but welcome all the same.

StorytellerFox
"Might be worth looking into, when you get back. I know we had some folks head up that way for work, so it's likely to be true."

Garvan Nowack
"It would be a worthwhile venture, meeting more of the family. Perhaps once I have some more time to myself, although," he said, splitting the log before him, "I wonder just how much time I will have to myself after this. It is doubtful that they trust me by myself still. Too young. Too new to everything." There was no edge to the admission, even if he felt the sting despite that.

"I should not complain so, it will do nothing." Another log split at that. "Your father? He is a Half-moon as well, if I recall?"

StorytellerFox
"Eh...long as you do something about what you're complaining about it afterward." He chuckled quietly. "He is, yes."

Garvan Nowack
"A fair point, that."

Maybe he was wondering why that particular question was asked, and for that matter, Garvan somewhat wondered himself. More than anything, it seemed less than random that they shared their particular calling, although what he thought didn't entirely matter either.

"And how might he feel about teaching someone what exactly it is supposed to mean, being that kind of a judge?"

StorytellerFox
"I'd wager he'd be amiable to it." The smirk was back at that. "Then again, I think he's been waiting for you to ask."

Garvan Nowack
Garvan sighed, equal parts agreement and admission that he was actually just a little winded. First impressions were important, of course, and his own impression of that man had been on somewhat strange terms. Whirlwind blur of trying to figure out what was going on, following two people who knew him but yet he did not, and the general disorientation he'd noticed from being here. Again, apparently.

"Ah," he said at first, the tone showing his own uncertainty on the matter. "Easy enough to remedy, I guess."

StorytellerFox
"That it would be." He watched Garvan for a moment, resting the axe against the stump he had been using as the base for his log-splitting. "I have to ask...were you planning on just waiting to see if something happened while you were here, or were you going to look for that information yourself?"

Garvan Nowack
Something like a glower showed on his face at that comment, but he quashed it without much effort. Wait for something to happen? Of the many things he was, totally indecisive was not one of them, even if he'd been uncertain of what was going on around him quite often.

"I had not," he started, trailing off once he realized that his voice held more of an edge than he'd intended, and Garvan breathed out at that, calming himself. "It is sometimes difficult to understand what one should just know or should seek out at times. I had not intended to seem passive."

StorytellerFox
"You haven't, just wanted to make sure you did have at least a small fire lit under your ass." Connor grinned at that, a 'no harm meant' note to his own tone hopefully dulling that edge further. "You're here to learn, by my telling, so if you want to know something, ask."

Garvan Nowack
There went that grin again, and the tone had the desired effect of cooling any remaining nerves. It hadn't been that much of a prod, really, so he took the rest of it for the advice it had to be.

"Point taken, and I shall be sure to be more vocal in the future. I had not wanted to be seen as being improper by prying."

StorytellerFox
"You're in a place filled with storytellers, Garvan. People will talk your ear off if you give them the chance."

Garvan Nowack
Garvan laughed a little at the comment; he'd already seen some of that at work by now. All the same, it was another fair point. "I forget that only half of my family is so concerned with that kind of propriety, and I am not with them now."

StorytellerFox
"Keep that in mind, my friend, and you'll go far."