Family (Log: Garvan, Brenna)

More of an outpost to the Emerald Heart than a sept in its own right, the caern known as the Emerald City Waystation acts as the major moonbridge hub for the city as well as the normal stomping grounds for the city's more urban wolves.
Gatecrash

Family (Log: Garvan, Brenna)

Post by Gatecrash » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:57 pm

Garvan Nowack
There may not be many more days this simple, Garvan noted, as he walked back to her apartment. While he wasn't complaining at having a job, there was a certain appeal to the easy lifestyle he'd had up to now. Choose what he wanted to do, help when able and generally just keep his nose clean. Easy enough.

Opening the door, he stepped through, but couldn't get rid of the thought that, pretty soon, he'd be on the road again. Sure, it was welcome, and he'd gladly do it, but there was a lot that could happen between leaving for there and getting back. A lot of things that could go wrong.

"Brenna," he called in a lower voice, if only to see if she was there. Perhaps she even was.

Adanna McBrenna
She was in the small kitchen that the apartments had, he had found she prefers the larger kitchen but she did have one in here.

She stepped out and looked him over, a bit of a smile on her face. "Aye am here."

Garvan Nowack
Garvan smiled, bright even for his usual demeanor, striding over to her with only a few easy steps needed. "Good to see you," he said, still attached to that formal tone that had seemed attached to him since the beginning. Maybe it even was, but despite that, there was still a friendliness to it all.

"What are you doing?" Sure, even the curious tone he used quite often.

Adanna McBrenna
She tilted her head back a bit to look up at him, his grin made her’s wider. "Aye think aye like seeing ye like this."

She looked towards the kitchen and back at him. "Aye was considering cooking. You?"

Garvan Nowack
He nodded at her first statement, still smiling as he stepped through into the kitchen to more fully see what she was doing.

"I spoke with Lucian not too long ago," Garvan said in an even tone, watching for her reaction though not too closely. Surely, anything said had actually been her request, making any attempt at fact checking irrelevant.

"It seems I have a trip on the horizon."

Adanna McBrenna
She had cabbage and brisket on the counter. She gave him an almost impish look when he mentioned Lucian, and turned, going back to what she had been doing prior, preparing the meet.

"Oh? And where ye be going me lad?" She reached out and flipped the oven on, then went back to the meat. Setting it in tin foil and a pan, she smeared some kind of black pepper, brown sugar and mustard concoction on the top.

Garvan Nowack
He didn't miss the smile, although the food preparation captured his interest. It was one that he recognized, but not since childhood, and the memory took him back for just a moment. Memory could be such a strange thing at times, so powerful even for the simplest of things. Why that mischievous look, though? He supposed it didn't matter entirely, but it raised a small question all the same.

"You would not believe. Poland of all places because Mends-the-Rift thought it was important that I see both sides of my family heritage. I leave in a couple days for it," he said, hiding his own smirk even as his tone spoke the truth of the matter.

"Anything I could help with?"

Adanna McBrenna
She blinked and looked up at him, "POLAND!?!?!!? Aye am going to beat Mends the Rift... fire crackers in his bed..."she muttered and pointed at the potatoes. "Cut those in fours, about 4 of them."

Garvan Nowack
"Although I should like to see his response to firecrackers, Ireland. I am going to Ireland." There was a brief chuckle, really only to himself, as he took up a knife and started to quarter the potatoes as directed.

"Hopefully I will return with good news for everyone involved." He meant it too, hope and a bit of determination tinging his voice.

Adanna McBrenna
She eyed him at that and he had to wonder if he was going to get a bed full of fire crackers for a moment before she smiled and turned back to her work. She closed the foil up and put it in the oven, then started to cut the cabbage.

"Aye hope so too," She said sincerely. "Did Lucian ask ye what yer intentions with me were or na?"

Garvan Nowack
"Not precisely, no. Perhaps he already knew," Garvan guessed, finishing his task quick enough, then sliding them into a pile. Sure, cutting potatoes was not exactly a difficult task, even for someone unskilled.

"What is next?"

Adanna McBrenna
"Na precisely. Oh, he’s a terrible guardian. Aye need to make sure me brothers are good ta be getting this done right and the proper fear o god be put into ye should ye do me wrong." She snickered and looked over at him "In the pot?" She motioned to a pot and started to put the cabbage in it too.

Garvan Nowack
Grabbing a few of the pieces at a time, he placed each into the pot with a careful precision, the action giving him the right amount of focus to listen to her. Again, that smile threatened to overtake him, one mischievous enough to match her own.

"I had thought to just visit my family and come back. Nothing was said of your brothers. Perhaps that is the source of the confusion." Again, that conspiratorial tone that told more of the lie than anything else.

Adanna McBrenna
She quickly wiped her hands on her pants and started for the door. "Aye will return after aye ring Lucian’s ears!"

Garvan Nowack
A hand reached out to grab her, but he thought better of it, returning it back to the task of transferring the potatoes. Eyes shot up, however, to see if she were serious and when he couldn't quite tell, he laughed just enough to show his seriousness.

"He told me your wishes, which I intend to follow. I had meant to ask where to look since I suspect I'll be in Dublin for at least a short while, but have no clue otherwise."

Adanna McBrenna
Oh, she was very clearly deathly serious. Lucian was in for an asswhooping. But hearing him, she turned and looked at him, deflated a little with relief.

She walked over and leaned against the doorway, "The last mission we did was in Belfast but me families’ caern is in Downpatrick. If they survived that’s where they should be."

Garvan Nowack
Not that he knew where Downpatrick was, and Belfast was only a name with vague references attached to it, but it couldn't be that far. The island wasn't that big, after all, and travel surely couldn't be that bad if he needed to go to one place vice the other.

"I will be sure to start there, then. Is many of your family there, or anywhere else for that matter?" It was a serious question and he was sure to look the part. Even if meeting the family in such a manner may be less than pleasant, but that bridge could be crossed when it mattered. Not now.

"It seems like an opportunity to meet a lot of family members, your own and mine, at the least."

Adanna McBrenna
"Well... me Da’s Ma was named Drunk under the table so we dinna know who his father was." She chewed her lower lip, "Makes givin ye lineage a fun spin."

She breathed in, "Me mom died in childbirth with me little brother Micky. Complications. And me Da died in combat bout 4 years ago. Leavin Fergus to lead the family and pack o us. Aye think me grand mir, my mum’s mom is still alive.”

Garvan Nowack
Garvan could recall having heard some of the story before, at different times in different pieces. Put together now, it made far more sense and he realized that he knew most of it anyways. Good to have the confirmation in either case.

"It sounds complicated, surely," he said quietly, eyes low in thought. Loss was something he had yet to fully grasp in that regard, but that didn't mean he couldn't understand parts of it. "I will be sure to find something about them all, one way or the other." Resolve, there. The same kind that had driven him for so many years and had yet to burn out.

Adanna McBrenna
There was a slow nod. "Aye know for fact aye lost two brothers the night of our last Pentex raid. But Fergus and Shane seemed to be fine, they had to go back to get another kin and sent me ere"

Garvan Nowack
Just the two, then. Perhaps a third or fourth, depending on how one viewed the information. That was an easy enough task, but one that could wait for a while still. No going anywhere until his passport was back up to date and while he'd already talked to one of the Glass Walkers about it, had heard nothing yet.

"Perhaps that is enough talk about business for now," he said at last, that earlier smile returning, "I did mean it when I said it was good to see you." It was even true, and despite their positions having reversed somewhat, he really did seem content for the moment.

Adanna McBrenna
"Yes, it’s enough for now," she said and held a hand out to him. "Come let’s go into the livin room while the food cooks. Aye am glad to see ye too. Are they gon let you use the moon bridges, oh... sorry, business."

Garvan Nowack
Garvan took the offered hand, glad at once for the soothing of nerves. Oh, it hadn't been bad, hardly noticeably until they'd left, but a welcome relief all the same. At her question, he shrugged, but said nothing, clearly uncertain himself what would be the answer.

"Did anything of interest happen after we left this morning," he asked, genuinely interested. "There was very little that I can say happened with me."

Adanna McBrenna
She moved to the couch and sat down, still holding his hand. "Not really. Been a fairly borin day, been nibbling me nails waiting though."

Garvan Nowack
Boring for the both of them, then. Taking a seat, Garvan leaned against her, sighing quietly as he did. Boring or no, there was a lot to do of late and while it didn't show in his features, that sigh said it all. Tired, of a sort.

"Waiting for what?"

Adanna McBrenna
She leaned against him in return, pulling her feet up under her. "Ah, fer ye to speak to Lucian and get on wit it. What de ya think aye would be waitin for?"

Garvan Nowack
"I had thought that to be the case," he admitted, " But I was not sure. It only took a few tries in either case; I missed him the last time because I was called to assist with something outside. Strange occurrence, that, but I believe it was resolved."

Adanna McBrenna
"Ah, well what did ye have to help with?" She asked curiously and watched him

Garvan Nowack
"Nothing major. Someone outside was making a scene and they wanted me to help quiet things down. All in all, it was uneventful, but I had never done something like that before. It was... rewarding to say in the least."

Adanna McBrenna
"Well ye are a judge so that does make sense." She looked him over. "Sounds like ye enjoyed yeself."

Garvan Nowack
"Truthfully, I think it may have been the first time I ever felt like I was doing what I was supposed to do." Was it strange to think that maybe he had enjoyed himself? That it really was something he was supposed to do?

"Still too many things that are foreign to me and do not make sense until after I do them."

Adanna McBrenna
She took his hand and turned it looking it over. Her finger tracing the lines there. "It’s what ye were born to do. Ye moon decreed it."

Garvan Nowack
Those words again, easy confirmation of what he'd been told so many times before in the homeland. Sure, he believed them, but it was another thing entirely to hear them in this place and see and feel the truth of it.

"There is truth to that. Even my time back in the spirit world seemed to say as much; my foster was, fortunately, also a judge and taught quite a bit."

Adanna McBrenna
She looked up at him. "But aye think when ye do make a decision, is pretty swift."